Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Getting Back to My Jazz Roots!

I am looking forward to performing at the Winchester Jazz Festival this year and for the chance to get back to my Jazz roots.

I have always loved Jazz, Swing and Big Band music and my favourite singer of all time is Ella Fitzgerald. Listening to her is a real slice of Heaven! Let me just say that I don't delude myself into thinking I can singing anywhere near as good as Ms. Fitzgerald, but I have learned what I know about "scatting" from trying to imitate the magic she creates when she scats!

Before moving to the UK and just after I left working on cruise ships in 2007, I moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin to be near my parents, having lived in Florida for the eight plus years prior. During my last contract on ships I started putting together my Jazz repertoire with the aim of forming a Jazz trio or quartet when I settled into Milwaukee. I did just that and the beautiful journey of celebrating this amazing art form with Jazz lovers in Milwaukee and Chicago (my home town) was underway, and for two years I was out most weekends either performing as a 4-piece or Duo.

Gloria Miller Quartet
Once I moved to the UK I started to diversify my repertoire to include other genres of music catering more to Soul & Funk fans, slowly moving away from singing Jazz, and I have missed it! So when I saw a post on Facebook about the Winchester Jazz Festival, I jumped at the chance to apply to perform and was thrilled when I received the email that they wanted to book my Duo. The Gloria Miller Duo will be performing at Greens Wine Bar on 23 September kicking off at 7pm! This is a free event so come out and support me and Frankie Lewis (guitarist) as we perform some Jazz Standards plus selections from my original CD, Let Go. Click here for more info.

For International Jazz Day on 30 April this year I recorded a cover of an Anita Baker Tune, Good Enough ...



I even tried my hand at scatting, which definitely needs some work! This video features Jazz Greats old and new and the inspiration behind what I do, even when I'm not singing Jazz. Check it out and let me know what you think in the comments section!

I hope to see you at the Winchester Jazz Festival and definitely stop by Greens Wine Bar to see The Gloria Miller Duo on Friday, 23 September at 7pm.

If you would like to purchase my latest release, Let Go, click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment