Monday, March 2, 2015

Week in Review: 23 Feb. - 1 March, 2015

Marlene Hill
My good friend and GME Artist Marlene Hill lit up the stage as Motormouth Maybelle in the Portsmouth Player's production of Hairspray which enjoyed a 4-night run from the 24th though 28th at The King's Theatre in Southsea. When I don't have her booked on various events, Marlene is usually busy performing as a featured vocalist in the Swingin' At The Cotton Club Show with the Harry Strutters Hot Rhythm Orchestra. Since Marlene was busy with Hairspray, she asked me to cover one of her Cotton Club shows and on Thursday, I did my very best to fill her very talented shoes at The Brook Theatre in Kent. With only a couple weeks to learn six songs, and one acoustic rehearsal with band leader, Maurice Dennis, I took to the stage with the eight-piece orchestra and six Jivin' Lindy Hoppers in front of a capacity crowd, and had one of the best performing nights I've had in a long time!

I was incredibly nervous right before my first song, and it didn't help matters that because I was wearing long gloves as part of my costume, I couldn't get my lyrics on the iPad to work. Here's a little tip: if you are dependent on lyrics, as I am, and need your iPad, as I do, the iPad won't respond to your touch if you are wearing long gloves. So, the band is vamping as I am desperately trying to pull up the lyrics. When I realized what was happening, I snatched off the problematic glove which sent the bling I was wearing over the glove flying across the stage! Yes, people I am a professional, but sometimes these things happen. Finally, after about eight measures of vamping, I finally started singing 'Miss Jenny's Ball' with one glove on and the other in my hand. During the instrumental break, I managed to get my other glove on, retrieve the rogue bracelet and pull myself together.

Thankfully, it was smooth sailing from there, I even got my swing dance on with the other singer, Megs, and the Lindy Hoppers for a raucous finale of 'It Don't Mean a Thing!' What an amazing experience and I'm so thankful to Marlene for getting me all the music and lyrics I needed, and to all the performers who warmly welcomed me into the fold. I do hope they call on me again if the need arises!

On Friday, I saw Marlene in action in Hairspray, and in my admittedly biased opinion, she was the best thing on that stage. Alright, there were a few other amazing performers on the stage too! It was a fantastic production, and the staging and costumes were excellent. Aside from a few sound issues, the performers really brought the music to life and the dancing was spot on!

Finally, on Saturday I performed with The Midnight Soul Sisters at Akamba Garden Centre, an African themed venue in Solihull, to a very rowdy crowd. There were four or five tables who were celebrating birthdays and a hen party sprinkled throughout the audience which made for a very celebratory atmosphere from song one. Normally, people sit and watch during our first song which is 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough,' but not this time. The dance floor was packed before the end of the first song.

If you would like to book Marlene Hill, The Midnight Soul Sisters, or any of the amazing GME Acts, please get in touch to discuss your entertainment needs. Call me at 02392 894902 or email: gloria@gloriamillermusic.com

That's it for this edition, have an amazing week!

Gloria xx

No comments:

Post a Comment